CHT Thermocouple Probe Wiring and Setup
Attached are settings and wiring connections for Cylinder Head Temperature senders. This guide can be used to help if you are experiencing problems or if you suspect your CHTs are reading incorrectly.
Remember to follow these 3 Steps first when troubleshooting senders.
CHT Troubleshooting Steps:
- Are senders wired with the correct polarity? Read this article
- Are senders in the correct channels? Read this article
- Is the correct Type thermocouple selected? Read this article
- A practical test you can do to determine if your CHT is reading correctly. Read this article
There are 2 common types of CHT - spark plug type and screw in threaded type. The threaded probes, also known as CHT Bayonet Probes are typically used on Lycoming engines.
Threaded CHT BAYO Probes:
- Screw 3/8-24 Threaded CHT probes into recesses in cylinders (no washers required)
- Use Thermocouple Channels TC5 through TC8 if you have a 4-cyl engine. Use TC7 through TC12 if you have a 6-cyl engine.
- Remember that some CHTs are type-J thermocouples (these can be used). MGL Avionics supplies only type-K thermocouples
- Remember that with type-K thermocouples that Yellow is Positive and Red is Negative
Wiring Instructions for Type-K Thermocouples:
Note: counter-intuitive colors
EGT Thermocouple Probe Wiring and Setup
Attached are settings and wiring connections for Exhaust Gas Temperature senders. This guide can be used to help if you are experiencing problems or if you suspect your EGTs are reading incorrectly. Remember to follow these 3 Steps first when ...
CHT Thermocouple Probe Type?
Most Aviation CHT probes are either Type-K or Type-J thermocouples. All CHT probes sold by MGL Avionics are Type-K. Many CHT probes available in the US are type-J. Please contact manufacturer to find out what type they are. If you use the wrong type ...
Thermocouple Order - which goes first EGT or CHT?
In all MGL Avionics instruments (except iEFIS), including Velocity Singles and Infinity Singles and all RDAC connections for MGL Avionics Enigma, Odyssey and Voyager EFISs, the following rules apply regarding the order in which EGT and CHT probes are ...
Can I extend CHT and EGT Thermocouple probes?
Should you wish to increase the length of the leads of your CHT or EGT probes, this can be done. Our type-K EGTs and CHTs probes should be extended with type-K extension wire directly to the RDAC, or if the RDAC is mounted outside the engine ...
AeroVee Engine Sensor Setup
AeroVee (Sonex) Sensor Settings AeroVee uses the following sensors: CHT: Type-K or Type-J Thermocouple (Specified at ordering) EGT: Type-K Thermocouple Oil Pressure: VDO 5-bar sensor 360-001 Oil Temperature: VDO 150-degree Celsius sensor 323-055 ...